Thursday, January 10, 2008

MARK your Calendar - Jan 20th Dateline

This from Guatadopt.com

Dateline Air Date - January 20
I just spoke with the producer of the long awaited Dateline NBC piece. The story will air on Sunday, January 20th.
First of all, for those of you with adopted children old enough to comprehend the show, you may wish to consider taping it or watching it without your children present. I am not at liberty to discuss the exact content of the show, nor do I know al of it. But some of it, IMHO, could be detrimental for children from Guatemala to see if they are old enough to understand it, but not old enough to put it into perspective.
In addition to the broadcast, Dateline will also be devoting some of its website to the Guatemala Adoption story. That won't go live likely until the show airs. Their programmers are hard at work right now building some sort of page where families can submit pictures of their kids and their stories. Once I have more info on that, and the URL, we will post it.
Lastly, I'd like everyone to realize upfront that this will not be a glowing story about the beauties and positives of Guatemalan adoptions. No media organization could do a story on Guatemalan adoptions and keep it all positive. Most of the story (which I have not seen) will most likely not be positive. However, I am very optimistic that all sides will be covered and the perspective, if not the ratio of air time, will be balanced. So be prepared for that.
Guatadopt did aid Dateline's producer with this story. Troy will be making his network television debut.... Realize that what we have found with the media is that while helping them does not make it a story we'd write, it does impact the net result. I have seen how talks I've had with reporters don't up with lots of quotes in their finished stories, but they do influence the overall tone of the story. So in short, everyone will obviously be free to criticize us for participating in this, but know that we did it knowing full well what the end result would be, with realistic expectations. Posted by Kevin at January 10,

0 comments: